Squid-2 performance work

by

My main focus at the moment is to tidy up areas of Squid-2 with an eye towards both nicer code internals and better performance. Over the last year I’ve committed work to Squid-2 which has eliminated a large part of the multiple data copying and multiple request/reply parsing which went on in Squid-2.6 and earlier.

Unfortunately I don’t run any busy Squids, and so I’m not always confident my changes are correct. Squid has a lot of baggage and even with 10 years experience I still hit the occasional “wha? I didn’t know it did that” case.

My recent work is focusing on eliminating all the extra memory copying that goes on. Part of this will involve changing the internal dataflow and some inclusion of new buffer and string management code. Yes, C++ would help here (I do like the idea of the compiler enforcing my reference counting semantics to be correct!) but Squid-3 is still in beta and squid-2 is still C. I’d rather not break Squid-3 when its not yet released and this work is  “small” jump for people running Squid-2.HEAD or Squid-2.6.

The “store_copy” branch in Sourceforge will focus on converting one of the heaviest users of memcpy() – the storeClientCopy() API which allows the client-side to fetch data from the memory store – to use reference counted read-only buffers rather than copying the data into a supplied buffer. Reference counting in C is “tricky” even at the best of times. Its eliminated almost 5% of CPU use due to memcpy() but this only applies on my workbench (memory-only workload, small objects, local client/server.) It may work for you, it may not. Its part of a bigger goal – to avoid copying data where possible inside Squid – which will result in a leaner, faster proxy cache for everyone.

Its main noticable savings should be RAM use – temporary 4k buffers aren’t used anymore to store data as its being written to the client. This may be more noticable than the CPU savings. Regardless, I’d like to know how it runs for you!

To help:

  • Grab a Squid-2.HEAD tree, something reasonably recent;
  • Grab the patch from the store_copy branch at Sourceforge and patch Squid-2.HEAD;
  • Compile and run it!
  • Let me know how it runs – is it running smoothly? Is it leaking memory? Crashing? Serving incorrect data?

It “works for me” in my test bench at home. I’d love to know this is stable enough to commit to Squid-2.HEAD and move onto the next work.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Squid-2 performance work”

  1. logu Says:

    I checked out squid-2 source as follows
    cvs co -r HEAD squid
    and applied the store_copy patch. But it doesnt apply cleanly. Am I doing something wrong

  2. Adrian Chadd Says:

    Ah! Henrik’s done some work on the Squid-2.HEAD codebase since I branched it for this particular work.

    Please checkout the store_copy branch from the sourceforge squid repository (cvs co -r store_copy -d store_copy -P squid) and give that a go. I’ll try to update the store_copy branch to the latest Squid-2.HEAD codebase in the next week or two.

    Sorry!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: